GAS TRADE: UNIT 20 (5th ed. pub. 2015)
CSA Groupís 2015 Gas Trade materials reference the Red Seal Programís trade outlines for your preparation to become a nationally recognized gasfitter. Please visit the Red Seal Programís website for more details. Unit 20 - Hydronic heating systemsPurpose:
In order to install and maintain a gas fired boiler a thorough understanding of hydronic heating system operation, servicing, and maintenance is an important part of a gas technicianís/fitterís training.Special note should be made that connections made to gas appliances that include Potable, Hydronic, Refrigerant, Duct work and Electrical connections that exceed the essential components affecting the safe operation of the appliance, though potentially not mentioned within the Gas Code, must meet local Provincial and Municipal code requirements and may fall outside of the scope of practice of a Gas Technician/Fitter. It is the responsibility of the Gas Technician/Fitter to comply with all codes, as well as, their local trade regulations.Learning Objectives:
At the end of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe hydronic system boilers.
- Describe distribution and control systems.
- Describe circulators.
- Describe installation checks and servicing of hydronic boiler controls.
- Describe installation and servicing of pool heating systems.
Several CSA standards applicable to these sections should be reviewed:
- CSA B214, Installation Code For Hydronic Heating Systems
- CSA F280, Determining the Required Capacity of Residential Space Heating and Cooling Appliances
- CSA F383, Installation of Packaged Solar Domestic Hot Water Systems
- CSA B64.10, Selection and Installation of Backflow Preventers
GST REG No R119441681
QST REG No R1006017360