Maintaining a safe work environment for welders, welding operators and other workers is the focus of the new sixth edition of W117.2-12 – Safety in Welding, Cutting and Allied Processes. It provides minimum requirements and recommendations to protect people who work in an environment affected by welding, cutting and allied processes from illness and injury, and to prevent damage to property arising from the installation, operation and maintenance of equipment used in these processes.
Benefits of W117 include:
- Up-to-date welding safety guidelines to help ensure worker safety and meet OH&S regulations
- Welding health and safety program guidelines to maintain a quality company program
- Hot work defined, permit programs outlined
- Annexes with fire safety plans, hazard assessment guidelines and other useful information
Highlights of CSA W117.2-12 Include:
Significant changes for revised standard:
- Definition of Confined Spaces has changed to more closely represent confined spaces in line with the majority of jurisdictions. This section has been aligned to follow the definition change.
- Significant consultation with provincial fire marshals brought about changes to the section on fire prevention and protection during hot work to more correctly align with the intent of many jurisdictions.
- Requirements for permitting and permissible areas have been clearly defined and mandated.
- Changes in the Ventilation section include reference documentation for installing ventilation systems.
- Annex B (guidelines for welding and cutting on containers) has been re-written with improved methods and warnings.
- For anyone involved in underwater cutting and welding, this whole section has been greatly expanded with detailed requirements for the various processes.
GST REG No R119441681
QST REG No R1006017360